Last weekend, I took some portraits of Lindsey and Gordon, both of whom were kind enough to serve as subjects for my ongoing portrait project. It was my first attempt at lighting a portrait using only strobes and continuous light. Many of my past portraits relied heavily on natural light. I think the photograph that ended up working best was the one above. I used one strobe covered with a magenta gel to light the side of her face and then cooled the image down in Lightroom. Maybe I tried to get too creative with the editing, but I think it works.
Despite spending hours researching light, the portrait shoot was still fairly challenging. It was good practice and I learned quite a bit from the experience that will make future portraits easier, but this is one of those times where I definitely feel like I want a do over. Still, I'm starting to come around to this image.